Sunday, September 12, 2010

what i learned today.

My mom says i have been neglecting my blog. i guess i have been, but only because i haven't had too much to say.

I just wrote 13 letters to everyone telling them about college and that i miss them and i'll be back soon to visit. So i have no idea what to tell you now, since the people who read this will probably be getting a letter so i don't want to spoil the contents for you, so now i need to think of something else to say...

Here goes.. yesterday Scarlet spent the night in her friends dorm, and i had a semi breakdown because i miss all my friends and family, and i was feeling pretty lonely. i thought about how easy it must be for everyone who is staying at UD or somewhere in state, where they can see their family all the time and make plans with their friends for tomorrow, not for one weekend every two months. I thought about how cool it would be to be familiar with the whole campus and not get lost trying to get home. But then i got up this morning to listen to the church service through this handy dandy website where it streams live, and Pastor Curtis starts talking about Jonah. I know the story of Jonah, he was a prophet and God called him to reach the people of Ninevah, but Jonah didn't want to go and he was swallowed by a whale. Jonah decided to go to Tarshish because he was stubborn and the people of Ninevah were immoral and it would be hard to reach them. Going to Tarshish would just be easier. It hit me then that last night i was acting the same way. I was acting like west virginia was my Ninevah, and Delaware is Tarshish. I was thinking about how much i missed my friends and family, and how other people have it so easy. They didn't have to leave the people they love. Being almost five hours away is so hard. But i do love wvu. i love being at a school where i feel like it's mine. i knew no one coming here, and i liked that. I needed a change from Red Lion. i didnt want everyone to know my name. So God reminded me today that this is where he wants me to be, and that the right way is usually the hard way. i remember Curtis saying something about how we go so far out of the way to displease God. Running away might be easier for now, but i'd be displeasing God and that never ends well. I learned to be content with where i am. I want God to use me here at WVU. I want to lean on him when i'm having a hard time. So that's what i learned today. you're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you, Jill. I know it's hard to be so far from home and everyone you love. I did the same thing when I was your age. But, the benefits of obeying God FAR outweighed the loneliness and homesickness I felt at times. I promise you that you will never regret obeying God's direction. Tarshish might look better at the moment, but one of these days you will love Ninevah like you never imagined possible. I'm proud to be your friend and now I know how better to pray for you! I love you, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, finally a blog post! You told me to keep up with you this way and then never updated!! I'm so glad you did! We'll be praying for you! You are on a HUGE campus with lots to do so get out there and have fun (the right kind :) I'm glad you are liking it and the transition is hard but you are looking at it the right way! Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete